Monday, September 28, 2009

Nattering Nabobs of Negativism

For years, I thought this phrase was attributable to Spiro Agnew. It turns out, as I discovered in a radio eulogy for columnist and speechwriter William Safire, that it was he who coined the alliterative epithet. This may mean I'll have to rethink my estimation of Safire; for years I've wondered, "What special qualifications does this cranky old conservative possess that suit him for writing On Language?" Well, now I know.
Historical regret is like a phantom limb or an aching joint; it's ever-present, but recedes into the background because immediate matters are more demanding of attention, but every once in a while it twinges or throbs on a cold morning or in a sudden rainstorm. If only Safire's talent could have been directed to a worthy cause, say, ridiculing the opponents of liberal politicians, or libeling the architects of the Vietnam war instead of its critics... ah, well, I suppose that's the crux of why I became an artist instead of an historian. Too many things have gone the wrong way, and I don't think I have the fortitude to report it all accurately, without giving in to the temptation to improve it by rewriting.
R.I.P., William Safire, right-wing writer of withering witticisms. My grudging respects to perhaps the last man I can remember who made political invective worth listening to.

3 comments:

Michelle C. Moode said...

Wes, have you given up on the ol' blog?

Eli Blake said...

It would appear that he has.

Michelle C. Moode said...

will west, you should start blogging again! cause no one ever says anything about LA! :)