Saturday, April 19, 2008

Little Earthquakes...

I never would have suspected that I would experience my first earthquake in North Carolina, nor that said earthquake would be centered in Illinois, but that's just what happened Friday morning. I woke up at around 5:35 with the sensation that the walls were trembling, but it had stopped by the time I was awake enough to be sure I wasn't dreaming. Then it happened again; the house shook lightly for a few seconds around and under me and then was still. It had never occurred to me that this could be a geologically active area, so it wasn't until I read the news in the afternoon that I thought "earthquake." At the time, my theory was centered much closer to home; I figured Joshua, who lives in the room above mine, must be doing a particularly intense regimen of early-morning push-ups.

1 comment:

Katey Schultz said...

Hah! At first I thought this would be about Tori Amos. I had my share of earthquakes in Oregon but was fast alseep on Fork Mountain when this one happened - I didn't even know about it until now.
~ks